There are many physical and emotional benefits to getting regular massages.
In this article I will outline some of these benefits and inform you about what you
can expect from your massage treatment. I will also give you some pointers for
getting the most out of your massage treatment.
People come for a massage for many different reasons so each treatment is
tailored to the needs of each person. Some of the physical and emotional benefits
of massage may include:
1. Increasing blood circulation, bringing more oxygen and nutrients into the
muscle and reducing muscle fatigue and soreness.
2. Increasing joint mobility and range of movement by releasing restrictions
caused by scar tissue and adhesions (tight knots in the muscle).
3. Reducing oedema (fluid retention) by increasing lymphatic drainage.
4. Stimlating the parasympathetic nervous system to help promote relaxation and
reduce stress, this also has further benefits for the digestive system.
5. Improving circulation to the skin and encouraging cell regeneration.
6. Easing emotional trauma through relaxation.
7. Creating a feeling of well-being
8. Increasing levels of dopamine and serotonin, therefore reducing anxiety.
9. Promoting positive body awareness and self-image.
10. Improving mood and outlook.
Your massage treatment is for your benefit. Here are some dos and don'ts to
getting the most out of your experience:
form where you fill out your reason for coming for a massage - whether it is for
relaxation purposes or for a particular issue. You will be asked about any injuries
or medical conditions you may have so that the treatment can be tailored to your
more or less pressure.
appointment as early as you can.
you plan your day around the type of massage you have received.
Breathe deeply to allow deeper relaxation.
When it comes to massage 'less-is-more' does not usually apply. While one
massage can be of benefit, regular massages are recommended as part of a long-term wellness routine.
Solace Holistic Centre Blog
Supporting Healing from Within